Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY Dishwasher detergent

I'm back with my next diy switch!
I've heard lots of people talk about making their own laundry detergent {which I will be doing once ours is out} so it got me thinking about finding a recipe for dishwasher detergent.
One Google search later and I found this recipe from diynatural.com
It seemed simple, cheap and promising. 
Kosher salt, washing soda, borax, citric acid, vinegar, and a container to store it all in.
I bought every needed ingredient at Kroger except for the citirc acid which I found at Brighter Day, a natural foods store in Savannah.
You can also find it online

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent: 
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup kosher salt

And the white vinegar is added to your rinse aid compartment in place of Jet-Dry.
{We actually hadn't been using anything for this before now}

So from here I just combined all of the ingredients together in an old Trader Joe's coffee can and shook it up.
 1 cup Borax
 1 cup of washing soda
 1/2 cup of citric acid
*On diynatural.com they recommended using double this amount for hard water.  Since we DO have hard water I may try this next time.
 1/2 cup of kosher salt

*Just as they recommended, to avoid clumping caused by the citric acid, I let the detergent sit out on the counter for a few days and stirred it several times each day. Even though I did this, over time large clumps did form so I simply dumped the entire mixture into my blender one day and blended all the clumps out and haven't had any since.
Make a nice label for it so no one gets confused.
And you only use 1 tablespoon per load! 
 That didn't seem like it would be enough but surprisingly it is. 

We've been using this detergent for over a month and it's worked great for us.
I would definitely recommended trying it if you're looking to save some money--this one is a no-brainer! 
There's a breakdown on the post for you here

Happy washing :)

1 comment:

  1. I tried your recipe and once I put it in blender to eliminate any clumps. At that point it got a very strong bad smell to it, is this normal? It also turned into a very thick paste.
    Thank you for sharing your recipe I appreciate it

    ReplyDelete