Saturday, February 11, 2012

Running for Sherry

Today I participated in a virtual run. 

On January 7th, Sherry Arnold was kidnapped by two men on her morning run in the small town of Sidney, Montana.  She was only a mile from her house.  She was a high-school teacher, a wife and a mother.  I found out about her through a blog I follow, Shut up + Run.  I was deeply saddened by her story and I just couldn't get her off my mind for many days after her disappearance.  I obviously didn't know Sherry, but I was so maddened and disgusted by the evil of those two men who have since confessed to killing her. 

And then I found out about the virtual run for her.  There is evil in this world, but I think there is more good.  I felt anger and sadness over this situation, but I knew this run could bring hope and healing to so many people. And I 100% believe in the power of collective positivity. 

My bib, "Running for Sherry"
Cambria started me off with "1, 2, 3 GO!"
So today I ran 3.1 miles in Sherry's honor and memory.  On my run I thought about Sherry and her family.  I hoped for healing and closure for those who loved her most.  And I wished that she could know how many people around the world were running at the exact same time, all with her on their minds. Amazing.  

You were loved today, Sherry!

3 comments:

  1. This is really beat Brandie :) love how big your heart is! -- Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. She definitely has one of the biggest hearts <3

    ReplyDelete